Henry Shaffer was the first resident of Shaffer Town, or what is now known as Sykesville. In 1858, Mr. Shaffer purchased 253 acres of land, part of which became the Shaffer Cemetery. After his death, his estate donated the cemetery to the town.

Edward C. London, born on July 4, 1818 and died on December 25, 1870 is the oldest grave found at the cemetery. He was educated as a teacher in Luzerne County, but bought land near Stump Creek, where he operated a sawmill till his death.

Jacob Bigler Sykes was born on June 9, 1852 and died on May 7, 1916. A prominent businessman, Sykes donated land so that the railroad could build a train station in town. In 1907, Shaffer Town was changed to Sykesville, which was then organized into a borough.

In 1902, five acres were bestowed upon the cemetery by Frederick Walker and the Walker families. Many prominent Sykesville families are represented in this cemetery, including the Shaffers, Sykes, and Walkers. Others include the Buhites, Jehus, Mowreys, and LaBordes.

The Sykesville Cemetery reflects the mining and farming areas which surround it. Many burial records indicate mining accident victims. In addition, the 1918 Flu Pandemic affected the mining communities of Soldier, Stump Creek, and Sykesville. Forty-four people were buried during 1918 alone. Between the mining accidents, flu, tuberculosis, and harsh conditions, many didn’t survive. There are 118 infants, less than one year old, buried in the cemetery and 69 children, aged one to ten.

75 veterans are buried in the Sykesville Cemetery. The oldest serving veteran was Jacob Hilliard, who served in the Civil War from October 5, 1861 to July 11, 1861. There are 7 total veterans of the Civil War, 4 who served in the Spanish American War, 17 veterans of World War I, 36 from World War II, and 6 veterans of the Korean War. In addition, there are 2 men who served during peace times. Mysteriously, two soldiers have a tombstone here, but one of them was buried in France, and the other was buried at sea.

Finally, another well-known family also donated land to the cemetery. On September 19, 1985, John Smyers contributed 11 ½ acres for the cemetery to expand to its current size.